Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Depth of field, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- In any given image,…there are multiple layers of depth.…By shifting the focal point,…we can determine when and how much detail…in visual information we provide to the viewer.…When we shoot at a great depth of field…everything looks sharp.…We often see this approach in very wide shots…that establish the context of a scene.…As camera sensors improved and get larger…and lenses become faster and faster,…shooting with a shallow depth of field…has seen a dramatic increase in popularity.…
The beauty of this technique is that you are able…to throw the background of an image out of focus…to force the viewer to hone in on the subject…or point of interest.…Because of the cinematic look…and diminish need for set design,…this technique has become invaluable…in lower budget productions.…We can keep our audience focus on…what's important in transform mundane locations…into beautiful background pallets…and avoid extensive set design,…setup time and high cost.…
It is important to remember that great depth of field…should not always be avoided.…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Intermediate
Video Production: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 35s Intermediate
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 48s Intermediate
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.