Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating depth, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- Creating and understanding the depth of your frame…is essential to create dynamic composition…and draw the viewer into the world you are creating.…If used successfully,…it can make a huge difference…in taking your production to that next cinematic level.…Through depth, you are able to create…a three dimensional image…on a two dimensional surface…and avoid the cramp feeling of a flat frame.…One of the best ways to accomplish this…is by including a foreground, midground,…and background in each of your frames.…
Obviously, many shots when used this.…Whether it's a closeup or detail shot…to focus your attention,…but in general this is a good rule of thumb.…When adding layers of depth…it is important to consider…that the motion in the background…is just as important as the action in the foreground…when attempting to establish a specific mood.…If you are filming a chaotic war scene for example,…you could overwhelm the audience…with visual information on every depth level…to force the viewer to experience…the chaos of the battlefield.…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Intermediate
Video Production: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 35s Intermediate
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 48s Intermediate
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.