Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Composition in motion, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- One of the intrinsic differences…between photography and filmmaking…is that when making a film the composition…of your image can change mid-frame.…This could be the result of a moving camera…or a moving subject.…Here's an example of a frame in which…the subject is approaching the camera.…Within the same frame, we are getting…a complete range of shots,…everything from a wide shot to an extreme close-up.…As an object or subject increases in size,…it becomes more significant in the frame.…
This may seem obvious,…but it is an incredibly useful technique…when establishing a certain mood…and designating importance.…(underbrush rustling)…(door creaking)…(breathing)…In this scene, as the subject grows larger in the frame,…through the use of the POV shot,…we have successfully created…a sense of impending doom and suspense.…
Another important consideration when composing emotion…is the position of your character when the camera is moving.…If you position your character in the center of the frame…with symmetrical composition,…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Intermediate
Video Production: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 35s Intermediate
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 48s Intermediate
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.