Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing the right lens, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- We have used a wide variety…of lenses to shoot this course:…prime versus zoom, fast and slow,…ultra-wide or super tele.…Regardless as to what your role is…in a production, a good understanding…of lenses and composition is paramount.…Over time, with the more technical knowledge you acquire…and the more creative freedom you have at your disposal,…good composition will come as second nature.…Choosing the lens that just happens…to be attached to the camera, without any…consideration of its function within the story,…will most likely lead you into a collection…of random shots, not a meaningful piece.…
By no means have we covered every…aspect of cinematic composition,…something simply impossible to achieve.…However, by following and breaking some of the…concepts and the rules we have discussed here,…and most importantly, by trying them out on your own,…you will set out on the path to pushing…your project to the next level.…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Video Foundations: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Appropriate for all
Video Production: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 39s Appropriate for all
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 52s Appropriate for all
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.