Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Breaking the rule of thirds, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- Here's an important tip to remember.…If your subject is speaking directly to the camera…and the background is inconsequential to the shot,…the rule of thirds may not help make your shot more dynamic.…This would include news broadcasts…or whether the subject is directly addressing the camera…as in this shot.…The rule of thirds has become so ubiquitous in modern cinema…that sometimes a center shot…can actually be quite attention grabbing.…
As with every single rule and technique…we have covered during this course…and all the previous courses we have done,…you should experiment.…Try following the rule and then breaking the rule.…Try to position the subject at the far left, far right,…the bottom to the top and see what happens.…For example, with these shots,…we are definitely breaking the rules of composition,…but they are very effective…for the message we're trying to convey.…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
Video Production Techniques: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 39s Appropriate for all
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 52s Appropriate for all
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.