Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Breaking the fourth wall, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- What happens when actors suddenly acknowledge…the existence of the camera and our presence as viewers?…It really depends on the plot,…but it certainly breaks the illusion…that we are simply witnessing the event…and become part of the story.…The term "fourth wall" comes from theater.…Since the stage is traditionally a three-walled box,…the audience sees the play from the imaginary wall…at the front of the stage.…In cinema, the camera effectively becomes that fourth wall.…
What is interesting about this technique…from a storytelling perspective is that…the characters seem unaware of the fact…that they are fictional characters within the story.…We know the wall has been broken…when a character acknowledges the audience.…This could either be a knowing glance towards the camera…or a monologue to the viewer, sharing what he or she thinks…about the situation that has just occurred.…Great examples of breaking the fourth wall successfully…can be found in Fight Club, Annie Hall, and Amelie.…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Intermediate
Video Production: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 35s Intermediate
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 48s Intermediate
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.