Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video The process of editing, part of Filmmaking Forum: Conversations.
- Hi everyone.…In this episode of…the Filmmaking Forum Conversations Course,…we're going to break editing down…into the process it is.…From rough-cut, to fine-cut, and beyond.…Different editors take different approaches.…Some work in distinct passes,…while others polish as they go,…and we'll discuss both of these approaches.…We'll also talk about breaking through…those creative hurdles…and maximizing stamina and focus.…I hope you enjoy.…- So the rough-cut is a mess.…
Usually.…Obviously, I try to make it as watchable as possible,…but it's usually also kind of a rushed process.…The director is anxious to see…what you have and everything.…- You'll spend a lot of time…refining your rough cut as you're assembling…because everybody wants to see it quickly,…but you also want them to get the right impressions…from the piece.…- Then I will go through…and I will start thinking about…what kinds of coverage I want to use…to build the scene up,…and so I'll have an idea that…I may want to start on a close up…or start on a wide shot,…
- Advice for novice filmmakers entering the industry
- Finding, enhancing, and tweaking your story
- Experimenting in filmmaking
- Solving problems and troubleshooting your film
- Changing your approach or finding new angles
- Communicating and collaborating on set and in the edit room—and with clients
- Working on different genres of film
- Teaching and mentoring new filmmakers
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: The Art of Editingwith Norman Hollyn3h 47m Appropriate for all
New This Week
Nurturing the Body and Mind: Talking about Health and Knowledge
Working Well with Clients
Collaboration and Communication: Aligning Visions and Elevating the Project
Importance of Trust and Trying Things Out
Wonderful World of Editing
Art of Watching: Screening Dailies and Getting Feedback
Working Well with Assistant Editors
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.