Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Making and working on commercials, part of Filmmaking Forum: Conversations.
- I think the key to producing…a successful piece of short form content…is to make sure what the key message is,…and everything is a slave to that.…And that's a beauty and a curse,…cause it sounds really easy to do,…but it's incredibly difficult.…- First question I ask a client,…what is the goal of this product?…That's gonna, every decision I make…is gonna be based on that.…- They know their business, they know their objectives,…they know the strategy, they know what they need.…- And sometimes you gotta read between the lines.…
People are not technical, they're not filmmakers,…they're not storytellers, they're business people.…So my job is to figure out how to…take their goal and translate that onto video…in the time and resources that we have.…- For me, the most challenging part of commercials…will always be finding that meeting point…of marketing and creativity, I guess.…Because you're absolutely fooling yourself…if you're making these commercials…because you wanna be an artist…and you want to express yourself.…
- Advice for novice filmmakers entering the industry
- Finding, enhancing, and tweaking your story
- Experimenting in filmmaking
- Solving problems and troubleshooting your film
- Changing your approach or finding new angles
- Communicating and collaborating on set and in the edit room—and with clients
- Working on different genres of film
- Teaching and mentoring new filmmakers
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: The Art of Editingwith Norman Hollyn3h 47m Appropriate for all
New This Week
Nurturing the Body and Mind: Talking about Health and Knowledge
Working Well with Clients
Collaboration and Communication: Aligning Visions and Elevating the Project
Importance of Trust and Trying Things Out
Wonderful World of Editing
Art of Watching: Screening Dailies and Getting Feedback
Working Well with Assistant Editors
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.