Explore the tools, techniques, and concepts involved in creating great time-lapse videos from still captures.
- Hi there, I'm Tim Grey. I'm passionate about photography, but I'm also passionate about helping photographers produce better images. I do this through workshops around the world, a variety of books and magazine articles, and also a number of different video training titles with the help of video to brain. In this particular video training title, I'll guide you through the concepts related to time-lapse photography. Time-lapse photography is interesting because it's a hybrid between still photography and video. We're capturing still photographs, but then using those photographs to create a final video that's the method for sharing our time-lapse.
The core concept of time-lapse relates to time compression. We're taking a relatively large amount of time, and compressing it down into a relatively short video. In time-lapse photography, we're using the tools that you probably already have in your camera bag. A camera, lenses, a cable release, preferably with an interval timer function, but the key is knowing how to use these tools properly for time-lapse. We'll start this course with a look at the tools that you use in time-lapse photography and how you'll best put them to use. We'll explore a variety of different concepts to help ensure that you have a solid foundation on which to build.
We'll then move on to a series of time-lapse projects. We'll photograph some fast moving subjects, some relatively slow moving subjects, and we'll even take an opportunity to do a time-lapse on the move, where the camera itself is moving through a scene. One of the things I find most interesting about time-lapse photography is that you never really know what you're going to end up with. You can take the time and care to set up everything perfectly, but you really can't predict what's going to happen in front of the lens once you start recording the frames of your time-lapse. I encourage you to embrace this adventure and have fun as you explore time-lapse photography.
- Equipment for time-lapse photography
- Finding a time-lapse subject
- Setting up the tripod
- Exposure settings
- Auto-focus and stabilization
- Taping up the lens
- Capturing time-lapse frames
- Reviewing and processing the images
- Assembling a final time-lapse