Fundamentals of Software Version Control
This course is a gateway to learning software version control (SVC), process management, and collaboration techniques. Author Michael Lehman reviews the history of version control and demonstrates the fundamental concepts: check-in/checkout, forking, merging, commits, and distribution. The choice of an SVC system is critical to effectively managing and versioning the assets in a software development project (from source code, images, and compiled binaries to installation packages), so the course also surveys the solutions available. Michael examines Git, Perforce, Subversion, Mercurial, and Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) in particular, describing the appropriate use, features, benefits, and optimal group size for each one.
- Comparing centralized vs. distributed systems
- Saving changes and tracking history
- Using revert or rollback
- Working with the GUI tools
- Using IDE and shell integration
- Installing different systems
- Creating a repository
- Tagging code
- Branching and merging code
- Selecting a software version control system that's right for you
- [Voiceover] Hello, I'm Michael Lehman and welcome to Fundamentals of Software Version Control. In this course we'll look at how software version control tracks and maintains the history of your creative output as you work. I'll start by giving you an overview of the principles of version control. I'm talking about key concepts and terminology used in tracking changes using software tools. Then, we'll walk through how these concepts are implemented in five of the most popular version control systems: Subversion, Perforce, Team Foundation Server, Git, And Mercurial.
We'll be covering how these five products can help you work faster, be more confident, and sleep better knowing that every stage of your work is automatically preserved. Now let's get started with Fundamentals of Software Version Control.
Foundations of Programming: Web Services516,950 Views
Visual Studio 2012 Essential Training392,734 Views
Core Data for iOS and OS X338,341 Views
Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training1,369,384 Views
Visual Basic Essential Training450,331 Views
Git Essential Training2,578,682 Views
PHP with MySQL Essential Training3,907,848 Views
Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals6,728,971 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,633,291 Views