Now that we know what the Intel VTune amplifier tool is all about, let's grab it from Intel's Developer Zone and install it. We start off on the Developer Zone where we briefly go over the visualization to expect and then select our OS, which for this course will be Windows. Even though we focus on Windows the techniques applied in this course will show benefits across multiple platforms. We walk through the download and installation of the tool.
- [Instructor] Make sure you have Visual Studio 2015 installed so you can see the option to add VTune integration into the Visual Studio 2015 software. If you don't have Visual Studio already on your system, and you want to use Intel's Vtune Amplifier inside the IDE, you must first install Visual Studio 2015, or any other version all the way back to 2010, and then add the integration options for each during the installation process. To install Intel's VTune Amplifier, let's navigate to the Intel Developer Zone page for the tool, which is located at this URL.
On this page, we see options for trying it out before buying it. Now, this tool is expensive, but it is powerful, and comes with other performance monitoring tools. On the right-hand side, we can see a drop-down menu that says Please select OS. Let's click on the drop-down arrow and select Windows. Now, even though we are using the tool on Windows OS, the benefits we obtain by optimizing our application on Windows will show on Apple and Android devices.
Next, let's click on the Download Free Trial button. Now we are taken to a form that we must fill out in order to obtain a free trial for the tool. Enter the required fields and click on the blue Submit button at the bottom of the form. After filling out the form and clicking on the Submit button, you will be taken to the thank you page, which tells us that our trial download has been emailed to us.
After locating the email in your inbox, click on the yellow Download button. You will then be taken to this page, where you want to make sure that the radio button for the VTune Amplifier setup executable is selected. Then click on the Download Now button. After the file is done downloading, locate the file and double-click to start the installation process. Click Yes on any prompts that come up.
Then click on the Extract button. Once the installation prompt is up, let's advance through the default installation options. We'll keep everything at the default and simply click on the Install button to start the progress bar. When you get to the Activation page, click on the radio button that says Evaluate this product, and click Next.
This is where many components for the tool are installed, and dialog is shown describing what is occurring during the installation. Once the installation is complete, click on the Finish button and open the file in your browser that gives a quick start guide for the VTune Amplifier. Now we have two options for launching Intel's VTune Amplifier. We can launch it with Visual Studio, or by itself.
We discuss the GUIs for both in the following lessons, but first we need to perform some first-time setup steps.
By the end of this course you will know how to use the Locks and Waits analysis on your own application and improve the efficiency of parallel task execution on Windows.
- Installing VTune Amplifier
- Choosing options for the Locks and Waits analysis
- Working with the VTune Amplifier GUI
- Viewing the analysis summary
- Removing the lock
- Conducting lock-removed analysis
- Comparing results