Now that we have ran a Locks and Wait analysis on the new improved version we can compare the before versus after results inside VTune. We right click on the first analysis we did and browse to the second analysis we want for comparison, which in this case is the one with the lock removed. We then look at the summary page differences noting the changes in Elapsed Time, Spin Time, and other performance metrics.
- [Instructor] To compare the results between…the non-optimized version and the optimized one,…let's go to the results for the non-optimized version…and right-click on it, and select Compare.…This will bring up two fields…to specify which results we would like to compare.…The results we would like to compare…are already populated here,…but if they weren't, we would simply browse…to the VTune projects directory, where the results reside,…by clicking on the Browse button.…
As a good practice, it's always best…to put the non-optimized version at the top,…and the optimized one at the bottom.…Once those are done, click on the Compare button.…This brings up an error saying…that we cannot open the results, sqlite-db is locked.…This error popped up because the results are already open.…To resolve this error, close the other results.…Let's try this again.…Right-click on the non-optimized version, select Compare,…and then for result number two,…just Browse to the result,…and hit Compare again.…
After the comparison we are brought to the Summary page…
By the end of this course you will know how to use the Locks and Waits analysis on your own application and improve the efficiency of parallel task execution on Windows.
- Installing VTune Amplifier
- Choosing options for the Locks and Waits analysis
- Working with the VTune Amplifier GUI
- Viewing the analysis summary
- Removing the lock
- Conducting lock-removed analysis
- Comparing results