Learn how USB devices can be used and their impact on virtual machines. Explore how USBs can be shared with different virtual machines in a virtual environment.
- [Instructor] One of the first questions…I get about virtual machines is how to…connect to shared USB devices.…So, this little lesson is going to focus on how we can…interact with USB devices and virtual machines.…So when we're doing a USB passthrough,…what we're really doing is we're plugging in the USB device…into a host and allowing a virtual machine…to pass through the ESXi hypervisor…for direct access to that USB device.…Now, a virtual machine can only access…a USB device one at a time.…
You can't have multiple virtual machines…accessing the same USB device.…And there are three things that we need to be present…when we are doing a USB passthrough,…an arbitrator, a controller, and a device.…Now, luckily for us, these are all usually built in,…but what we need to make sure is that we have compatibility.…If our host can only run USB 2.0,…we can't access with speeds of USB 3.0.…So we need to make sure that the compatibility is present.…
And last but not least, we can only have…20 USB devices per virtual machine.…
Instructor Russell Long demonstrates how to configure advanced settings, create and manage a multisite content library, set up and maintain vCloud Air, and deploy vApps. Russell shows how to publish and subscribe to a content catalog, determine which permissions are required to manage content catalogs, and configure a content library to work across sites. He compares automatic sync with on-demand sync. He also takes you through the steps of authentication configuration, VM migration to vCloud Air, and VPN connection verification.
This course is also an exam preparation resource, as it covers the topics in the Administer and Manage vSphere Virtual Machine domain of the VCP-DCV 6 exam.
- Deploying and configuring VMs
- Managing shared USB devices
- Configuring hosts and VMs for passthrough
- Monitoring VM resource consumption
- Taking a snapshot of a VM
- Managing content libraries
- Using content library roles
- Creating a VPN connection between vCloud Air and an on-premises site
- Migrating a VM to vCloud Air
- Deploying and configuring vApps