Join Chris Nodder for an in-depth discussion in this video Where implementation planning fits in the UCD process, part of UX Design: 7 Implementation Planning.
- [Instructor] Implementation planning happens at the end…of your initial user centered design process.…You need the user centered design artifacts…that you created as you went through the process,…in order to create the plan.…And the plan itself is essential…if you want to stay on track…as you develop your application or site.…During the rest of this course,…I'm going to make the assumption that you're familiar…with the user centered design techniques…that I've described in the other courses in this series.…As a recap,…by this point you should've observed…some representative users performing the tasks…that you want to build software for.…
Then, you'll have created an experience map…to extract the pain points, goals and personas.…This experience map gives you the information that you need…to perform ideation exercises, such as design charrettes.…After ideation, you have brought things back to reality…by creating scenarios and storyboards,…which you then use to build a usability test,…a paper prototype UI.…Each of these user centered design artifacts…
Implementation planning happens at the end of the initial UCD cycle. First, you observe users, and then you create an experience map to extract pain points, goals, and personas. This gives you the information needed to do ideation exercises. After ideation, bring things back to reality by creating scenarios, which you use to build a prototype UI for planning purposes. By investing time in these UCD activities, you'll enter the development phase of your project with a much better understanding of what you need to build to delight your users. Having a set of measurable goals and a prototype interface makes it easier to plan your implementation and set interim deliverables that you know will deliver value to your users.
- Utilizing user-centered design (UCD) artifacts
- Creating an implementation plan
- Creating a story map
- Laying out the interface
- Prioritizing items on the story map
- Setting metrics for story map items