Join Chris Nodder for an in-depth discussion in this video Set metrics for story map items, part of UX Design Techniques: Implementation Planning.
- [Instructor] The story map is a living document.…As you go through the development process,…you'll learn more and more about…what features are important to your customers.…That might well change the priority…of some of the capabilities on your map,…or may even lead to you adding new capabilities.…It's fine to move the yellow stickies around…as you learn more about the relative priority…of each capability.…But, it's best to do this from an informed perspective.…How can you work out what's the priority…of certain capabilities?…Like I said, it's important to get early feedback…by releasing the minimum usable product,…and then measuring which elements of this product…worked how you expected, and which might need changes.…
Then, it's essential to keep releasing…as you update the product, so that you can…continue to measure the effect that each change has.…That measurement might take the form of user testing.…It might be based on usage metrics…that you gather automatically from the application.…Or it could be based on A/B testing,…
Implementation planning happens at the end of the initial UCD cycle. First, you observe users, and then you create an experience map to extract pain points, goals, and personas. This gives you the information needed to do ideation exercises. After ideation, bring things back to reality by creating scenarios, which you use to build a prototype UI for planning purposes. By investing time in these UCD activities, you'll enter the development phase of your project with a much better understanding of what you need to build to delight your users. Having a set of measurable goals and a prototype interface makes it easier to plan your implementation and set interim deliverables that you know will deliver value to your users.
- Utilizing user-centered design (UCD) artifacts
- Creating an implementation plan
- Creating a story map
- Laying out the interface
- Prioritizing items on the story map
- Setting metrics for story map items