Join Chris Nodder for an in-depth discussion in this video Prioritize items on the story map, part of UX Design: 7 Implementation Planning.
- [Instructor] We've placed all of the capabilities…that we need to build onto our story map,…but there's currently no priority order to them.…Now it's time to sort them into three categories,…minimum requirement, majority requirement,…and nice to have.…Minimum requirement capabilities…are the ones necessary to create a bare-bones product.…Majority requirement capabilities…are the ones that most users would expect to see…in this type of product.…Nice to have capabilities are luxuries,…or areas where you can add opportunities…for user delight into the product.…
It makes more sense to build…the basic functionality for your entire application…before you start focusing on nice to have features…for any one area.…This way, you reach the point of having a working product…that you can get feedback on,…before you invest too much time…in features that may not resonate well with users.…This is the main principle of lean software development,…and building this type of project plan…fits right into the lean methodology.…Let me explain a little more about what I mean.…
Implementation planning happens at the end of the initial UCD cycle. First, you observe users, and then you create an experience map to extract pain points, goals, and personas. This gives you the information needed to do ideation exercises. After ideation, bring things back to reality by creating scenarios, which you use to build a prototype UI for planning purposes. By investing time in these UCD activities, you'll enter the development phase of your project with a much better understanding of what you need to build to delight your users. Having a set of measurable goals and a prototype interface makes it easier to plan your implementation and set interim deliverables that you know will deliver value to your users.
- Utilizing user-centered design (UCD) artifacts
- Creating an implementation plan
- Creating a story map
- Laying out the interface
- Prioritizing items on the story map
- Setting metrics for story map items