Join Chris Nodder for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of UX Design Techniques: Implementation Planning.
- [Chris] Planning is hardly ever a fun activity,…but this user-centered design approach…makes it easier and more understandable for the whole team.…By investing the time to undertake…these user-centered design activities…and then create your story map,…you'll enter the development phase of the project…with a much better understanding…of what you need to build…in order to delight your users.…Having a set of measurable goals and a prototype interface…makes it much easier to plan your implementation…and to set interim deliverables that you know…will provide value to your users.…
Now it's time to start coding,…but that doesn't mean…your user-centered design focus finishes.…At this point the early user-centered design work is done,…and you have a plan for how you'll go about…implementing your paper prototype design.…But you can't ignore your users.…As you go through the development process,…schedule frequent usability test sessions…to see whether you're still on track,…gather metrics to see whether…you're working towards your goals,…
Implementation planning happens at the end of the initial UCD cycle. First, you observe users, and then you create an experience map to extract pain points, goals, and personas. This gives you the information needed to do ideation exercises. After ideation, bring things back to reality by creating scenarios, which you use to build a prototype UI for planning purposes. By investing time in these UCD activities, you'll enter the development phase of your project with a much better understanding of what you need to build to delight your users. Having a set of measurable goals and a prototype interface makes it easier to plan your implementation and set interim deliverables that you know will deliver value to your users.
- Utilizing user-centered design (UCD) artifacts
- Creating an implementation plan
- Creating a story map
- Laying out the interface
- Prioritizing items on the story map
- Setting metrics for story map items