Join Chris Nodder for an in-depth discussion in this video Lay out the interface, part of UX Design Techniques: Implementation Planning.
- [Instructor] Creating a story map…is a very logical process…if you have the right inputs.…You'll need your paper prototype interface screens…and preferably also your scenario or storybpard documents.…Just like for the experience map you created…near the beginning of this process,…you'll want plenty of space to work.…I suggest sticking several flip chart sized pices of paper…next to each other on a wall.…You'll also need a way of marking off lines across the wall.…I used painters blue masking tape for this.…And, as with almost every other stage in the process,…you'll need sticky notes in blue, green, and yellow.…
With your flip chart paper assembled on the wall,…put a line of blue tape…about two sticky note heights down from the top…across the full width of your paper.…Pin or stick each of your paper prototype pages…across the top of the paper…in the order in which the users…would likely see the screens.…If there are some optional screens,…place them where it makes the most sense…in the interaction flow…but don't bother trying to repeat them…
Implementation planning happens at the end of the initial UCD cycle. First, you observe users, and then you create an experience map to extract pain points, goals, and personas. This gives you the information needed to do ideation exercises. After ideation, bring things back to reality by creating scenarios, which you use to build a prototype UI for planning purposes. By investing time in these UCD activities, you'll enter the development phase of your project with a much better understanding of what you need to build to delight your users. Having a set of measurable goals and a prototype interface makes it easier to plan your implementation and set interim deliverables that you know will deliver value to your users.
- Utilizing user-centered design (UCD) artifacts
- Creating an implementation plan
- Creating a story map
- Laying out the interface
- Prioritizing items on the story map
- Setting metrics for story map items