- Traits of successful freelancers
- Specializing as a freelancer
- Transitioning to freelance work
- Searching for your first freelance gig
- Starting as a UX freelancer when you're just out of college
- Finding out what life is like as a freelancer
- UX branding and networking for success
- Advertising your services
- Learning what companies are looking for in a UX freelancer
Skill Level Beginner
- Do you dream of that day when you can take control of your career, you can choose your clients and the UX work that you do, and perhaps make more money while you do it all? It can be scary to quit your day job, go off on your own, and become a freelancer. But it doesn't have to be a lifetime commitment, so you can start as soon as you're ready. Hi, I'm Cory Lebson, author of The UX Careers Handbook, former UXP president, and longtime freelance consultant. In this course, we'll drill down to a specific type of UX career, that of a UX freelancer.
I'll give you a brief introduction to life as a UX freelancer. I'll talk about transitioning into a freelance career. I'll explain the nuances of how freelance work is different for designers, researchers, and other UX professionals, and I'll cover branding for freelance success. Sound good? Then let's get started.