Join Chris Nodder for an in-depth discussion in this video Create a story map, part of UX Design: 7 Implementation Planning.
- [Instructor] Let's quickly revisit…the experience map that you created…earlier in the user-centered design process.…The experience map that you created…from your user observations…show the current state of the system.…It shows the sequential tasks that users perform,…and allows you to highlight the pain points…where things don't flow the way they should,…or where there's an inefficiency in the system.…Now we want to create a similar map…that shows our desired new state.…This one will still show tasks sequentially across the page,…but this time they're the capabilities we intend to build…in order to make a more efficient system…than what exists today.…
We do it by extracting capabilities…from the paper prototype and scenario descriptions…and putting them on a big sheet of paper in time order.…The other thing that this new map,…called a story map, will do…is show us the priority of each item…that we want to build.…This way we can be sure to build the most important elements…in the whole system first…before we start working on nice to have features…
Implementation planning happens at the end of the initial UCD cycle. First, you observe users, and then you create an experience map to extract pain points, goals, and personas. This gives you the information needed to do ideation exercises. After ideation, bring things back to reality by creating scenarios, which you use to build a prototype UI for planning purposes. By investing time in these UCD activities, you'll enter the development phase of your project with a much better understanding of what you need to build to delight your users. Having a set of measurable goals and a prototype interface makes it easier to plan your implementation and set interim deliverables that you know will deliver value to your users.
- Utilizing user-centered design (UCD) artifacts
- Creating an implementation plan
- Creating a story map
- Laying out the interface
- Prioritizing items on the story map
- Setting metrics for story map items