Join Craig Barr for an in-depth discussion in this video What defines an effective visualization?, part of Unreal: Architectural & Industrial Visualization.
- [Instructor] Film and game projects undergo a process of conceptualization, design, and formal planning. Planning for visualization projects is really no different. However, with a visualization project, the designs, assets, or concepts, may be coming from a variety of different sectors. Perhaps it's an architectural design, or layout for a condominium or flat project, maybe it's envisioning a new assembly line at a manufacturing facility. Either way, planning the visualization is important.
Let's take a look at what defines an effective visualization. It needs to provide a visual description of the concept or idea. This really is truly the end goal, to visually describe a concept or idea. It needs to hold true to accuracy. That is, it needs to hold true to real world measurements and scale. Something that's going to be experienced by a human, for example, needs to have something that we can relate to. For example, on an architectural project, a chair should be built to proper and real scale so that it feels like it is part of that environment.
This helps tell the story of the overall visual description of the concept or idea. It does not stray too far from reality. This is important because in producing a visualization of anything, a concept or idea, it's easy to take an artistic license and stylize something or maybe take something a little further away from what the reality of the actual design is. This is where the visualization can lose its effectiveness. If we start to stylize or put maybe too much in the world of effects or different post processing for that matter, we can lose the overall effectiveness of that true design for the visualization project.
It needs to tell the design story in a compelling manner. Whether it's moving cameras or perhaps a way of transitioning between beautiful imagery, it needs to tell that story in a compelling manner. Lastly, with that, it needs to create an experience and that may be from a series or images, perhaps still images, or moving images where a video has created a series of transitions from camera to camera, room to room, something that allows for a nice, visual experience of the design, or it could be a different way of experiencing this in an interactive manner.
For example, working with a game engine, like Unreal Engine, this allows you to experience a visualization in a very different manner. There is a simple summary, or an overview, of what defines an effective visualization.
- Defining project goals
- Creating an Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) project
- Adjusting first-person project settings
- Creating effective assets
- Exporting assets for UE4
- Importing assets into UE4
- Placing assets in a scene
- Adding and editing collisions
- Working with textures
- Creating a basic material
- Adding a post-process volume