In this video, switch to using Zsh as your primary shell. While Zsh is not the default on most systems, you can make it your primary shell.
- [Instructor] Most Linux systems, many Unix systems, … and versions of Mac OS prior to 10.15 … use Bash as their primary shell. … Once a Z shell is installed, as we saw before, … we can open it up in a terminal window by typing zsh, … and this is a fine way to run Z shell. … But it's running inside of my default shell, … and I'd rather not have to move into Z shell … when I want to use it. … So let's set it as the default shell instead. … There are few ways to make that happen. … First, I'll exit out of this Z shell instance … (keyboard typing) and back to my current shell. … To set Z shell as the default shell, … we'll need to know where it's located on the system, … and for that, we can use the command … (keyboard typing) which zsh. … Here on my system, I can see it's located … at /usr/bin/zsh. … Depending on your system, … what you see here may be different. … To change the shell, we can use … (keyboard typing) the chsh command, … and that can be done in two different ways. … First, we can just run chsh, and then follow the prompts, …
- Using Zsh as your primary shell
- Functions in Zsh
- Navigating your file system with Zsh
- Finding files and commands
- Autocompletion in Zsh
- Recalling and using previous commands
- Writing scripts using Zsh
- Configuring Zsh
- Customizing the prompt
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Zsh Foundations
2. Using Zsh
3. Customizing Zsh
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.