Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video The window manager, part of Unity 5 2D: Advanced UI.
- [Voiceover] At this point, we now have two windows…inside of our scene.…We're gonna need a way to switch between these windows…and new windows as we continue to add them.…Let's go into our Scripts folder and create a new folder…called Managers.…Inside of the Managers folder,…we're gonna create a new C# Script,…and we're gonna call this WindowManager.…Once you've created it, double click on it…in order to open it up inside of your code editor.…Let's go ahead and delete the Start and Update methods.…In its place, we're gonna create some fields…that will help us keep track of the total windows…in our game, as well as the window that we're on,…and the window that should open up automatically.…
We'll start with a public array typed to the generic windows…and we'll call this windows.…Next, let's create a public int that will represent…the current window that's open in the system.…We'll call this currentWindowID.…And finally, let's create a public int…for the defaultWindowID to use…when we open up the manager.…Next, we're gonna need a way to get a reference…
Unity expert Jesse Freeman helps you design your UI using custom prefabs (reusable UI elements), UI components such as windows and buttons, simple buildup animations, and transitions. He also helps you create a window manager to guide changes and relationships between windows, and extend the window system with a custom Unity editor that lets you standardize window display and navigation throughout your game.
- Creating Unity prefabs: fonts, colors, buttons, and labels
- Adding a title, credits, and buttons to the start screen
- Adding a game over screen
- Creating animated stats for the game over screen
- Transitioning between windows
- Building a keyboard window
- Mouse, keyboard, and controller navigation
- Building a custom Unity editor for managing in-game windows
- Adding a window to select difficulty level
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Building a Tile Map Editorwith Jesse Freeman1h 38m Intermediate
1. Create UI Prefabs in Unity
2. Create a Start Screen in Unity
3. Create a Game Over Screen in Unity
4. Create a Window Manager
The window manager3m 45s
5. Create a Virtual Keyboard Window
6. Extend the Window System
7. Add a Difficulty Window in Unity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.