Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video The window life cycle, part of Building Custom Tools to Extend the Unity IDE.
- [Voiceover] Now that we've created our test window,…let's take some time to look at the life cycle…of the window itself.…We'll open up our test window in MonoDevelop.…Below the Init method, let's go down and create a new method…that will get triggered whenever the window gets focused.…We'll call this private, it's return type will be void,…and we'll call it OnFocus.…Inside, we'll create a debug log statement…that simply states OnFocus.…Next, let's copy this method and paste it below.…
Here, we're going to change the method…to say OnLostFocus…and we'll change the debug log statement…to OnLostFocus as well.…Now, let's save this and go back into the Unity editor.…We'll open up our console so that we can see these changes.…If we go ahead open up the test window,…you'll see that OnFocus is being called.…If we click outside of the window,…you'll see that LostFocus gets called as well.…If we go back and reopen the window, OnFocus is called.…
Let's go ahead and dock this window,…and let's clear everything that's in the console.…
- Exposing variables to the Inspector
- Providing attributes to Inspector fields
- Extending the base editor
- Creating custom UI elements
- Modifying the layout of a custom editor
- Building a custom window
- Saving and loading data
- Creating a reorderable list
- Skinning custom inspectors
- Exporting assets as Unity packages
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Introduction to the Inspector
2. Build Custom Editors in Unity
3. Create Custom UI Elements in Unity
4. Build a Custom Window in Unity
5. Saving and Loading Data in Unity
6. Advanced UI
7. Skinning Custom Inspectors
8. Export Custom Code
Code organization4m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.