Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video The message box, part of Building Custom Tools to Extend the Unity IDE.
- [Voiceover] Now at this point we're happy…with the look and the feel of our editor.…So let's take a look at how we can add…some additional messages to let the user know…whether a value needs to be set…or if there's a problem with the code.…To do this, let's open up the Hello World editor.…Let's scroll up to where we save our script.target.…We'll create a new line and in this line,…we're going to create a Help Box.…We'll use the EditorGUILayout.…We'll call the Help Box method and let's pass in a string.…
There is an error.…Next we need to pass in a message type.…As you can see, there are several…different types of messages.…Let's select the error, save our script,…and see how it looks inside of Unity.…Reselect the New Sprite and now below the target,…you'll see that we have an error message…and an icon to go with it.…If we go back and change the message type to Warning,…save it and rerun it in Unity,…you'll now see it's an exclamation mark icon.…
Let's go back and change this to an error.…We'll copy the script.target value.…
- Exposing variables to the Inspector
- Providing attributes to Inspector fields
- Extending the base editor
- Creating custom UI elements
- Modifying the layout of a custom editor
- Building a custom window
- Saving and loading data
- Creating a reorderable list
- Skinning custom inspectors
- Exporting assets as Unity packages
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Introduction to the Inspector
2. Build Custom Editors in Unity
3. Create Custom UI Elements in Unity
4. Build a Custom Window in Unity
5. Saving and Loading Data in Unity
6. Advanced UI
7. Skinning Custom Inspectors
8. Export Custom Code
Code organization4m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.