A game designer is at the center of every video game development team. The Game Designer plans the gameplay, creates the narrative, and ensures that the game itself is fun to play. In this video we’ll take a look at this position and how Game Designers craft fun, interactive entertainment for their players.
- [Voiceover] The game design role has become…the most well known of the game development team titles.…A designer that creates numerous blockbuster titles…will become a superstar in the industry.…In some cases, the designer's name…appears before the title of the game.…The game designer's role can be a tricky one…to define because every company is a little different.…In general, a game designer decides how the player…will play the game, what the game consists of,…and plans the elements of the game.…That last part is where the confusion lies…with the game designer title,…as some designers may not have any input…to story elements, or art, or programming,…or maybe all of those.…
Usually, the game designer is at the…center of communication with the team…regarding art and computer code…that will produce a game that meets expectations.…At the center of the development team…is at least one game designer.…A game must be planned and thought out…before production can begin.…A designer is the person that does these initial tasks.…
- A brief history of video games
- The phases of game development
- Roles in game development
- Essential programming, art, design, and audio skills
- Choosing a game engine
- Funding options outside the game studio system
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Game Environment in Blender and Unitywith Darrin Lile3h 13m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Game Studios
2. Roles in Game Development
3. Game Design and Development
4. Alternatives to the Studio Model
What Is Your Next Step?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.