People play games to have fun, but what is considered “fun” can vary from person to person, culture to culture. Game Designers use established visual and cognitive patterns to direct players through games, this in turn makes the games feel familiar and helps us recognize fun elements. Let’s have some fun and look at some of the ways designers create entertaining and elements of fun into their games.
- [Voiceover] A central tenet in making video games…is to design a fun video game.…I can assure you that the market…for not fun video games isn't that great.…Fun is an experience, short-termed, often unexpected,…informal, not cerebral and generally purposeless.…It's an enjoyable distraction.…We can add to this definition by identifying games…as a leisure activity.…Games test our competitive spirit.…Games make us think, and we can generally consider…the concept of games as an enjoyable or fun pastime.…
The problem is, what is fun for one person…may be completely boring or unappealing to another.…Not everyone likes the same thing.…So the million dollar question is,…how does one design a fun video game?…Many have tried to unlock the secrets to making a game…as fun as it can be to as many people as possible.…As you would guess, this is a pretty gray area,…but here are a few rules or guidelines.…First, a game should be highly entertaining,…engaging and addictive.…
Second, the design of the game should be unpredictable.…
- A brief history of video games
- The phases of game development
- Roles in game development
- Essential programming, art, design, and audio skills
- Choosing a game engine
- Funding options outside the game studio system
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Game Environment in Blender and Unitywith Darrin Lile3h 13m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Game Studios
2. Roles in Game Development
3. Game Design and Development
4. Alternatives to the Studio Model
What Is Your Next Step?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.