Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video The clearable component, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- Just like how we created the MovablePiece…and ColorPiece scripts,…we're now going to make a ClearablePiece script.…Go ahead and make a new script…called ClearablePiece and open it.…The first thing we're going to do is add some variables.…Add a variable to hold the clear animation…we made in the last video.…Our animation is of type, AnimationClip,…and I'm just going to call it clearAnimation.…We'll need this so we can play the animation later.…We also might want to know if the piece is…in the process of being cleared.…
So we're going to add a Boolean to keep track of that,…called isBeingCleared.…Finally, we need a reference to the game piece…that we're attached to.…This way, we can access properties of the piece…and have a reference to the grid object.…I'm making this variable protected,…because later on we're going to extend this class,…and the derived classes need to have…access to this variable.…We'll get our reference to the game piece…in Awake, using GetComponent.…Now add a function called Clear,…which we'll call when we want to clear a piece.…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 47m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.