Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Write data to the asset folder, part of Building Custom Tools to Extend the Unity IDE.
- [Voiceover] Now that we're able to serialize the item list…in our SaveTest into a string, let's look at how to…actually save that into the file system itself.…In our project, let's go back to the editor folder,…then open up the SaveTest editor.…Let's scroll down and create a new method to help us…save our data.…We're going to make this private, have a return type of void…and we're going to call it WriteData.…Let's pass in a string called data.…Inside of this method, we're going to need a path…in order to save the file.…
Let's create a new variable called path.…In order to get the path, we're going to use…the EditorUtility to open up…a SaveFilePanel.…Inside of our SaveFilePanel, we'll need to supply…a few details.…First, let's give it a title.…We'll call this Save Data.…Next, we'll need a directory.…Let's just make this an empty string.…Next, we need to give the file a name.…We'll call this data.txt.…Finally, you need to define the extension that…this file panel can save to.…
Here, we'll simply put in a string called txt.…
- Exposing variables to the Inspector
- Providing attributes to Inspector fields
- Extending the base editor
- Creating custom UI elements
- Modifying the layout of a custom editor
- Building a custom window
- Saving and loading data
- Creating a reorderable list
- Skinning custom inspectors
- Exporting assets as Unity packages
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
1. Introduction to the Inspector
2. Build Custom Editors in Unity
3. Create Custom UI Elements in Unity
4. Build a Custom Window in Unity
5. Saving and Loading Data in Unity
6. Advanced UI
7. Skinning Custom Inspectors
8. Export Custom Code
Code organization4m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.