Join Alan Thorn for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with occlusion culling, part of Unity: 3D Level Design.
- [Teacher] In this movie I'm going to take a looks…at the incredible feature of occlusion culling.…Occlusion culling effectively allows us to…optimize our levels so that the camera in the scene only…spends time rendering things that are actually…seen by the camera in any particular frame.…In short occlusion culling is a really great feature to…enable and to use inside Unity,…when you have an extensive level in which many different…things could potentially be seen by the camera.…
To get started at using occlusion culling,…I'm going to create a completely new and empty…object at the center of the scene by choosing…game object, create empty.…I'm going to position that at the world origin here.…Now having done this, in fact I'm going to move…the object, not to the world origin necessarily,…but I'm going to reposition the object just slightly…so that actually it centers on the scene itself,…that is the average center of the collective…geometry of the scene.…I'm going to name this object occlusion volume…here like so,…
The concepts covered in this course can help to prepare you for the Unity Certified Developer exam.
- Creating a Unity project
- Importing and configuring assets
- Modular level building
- Getting started with lighting
- Working with light probes and occlusion culling
- Creating timed behaviors
- Starting and completing a finite state machine