Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] This course expects you to be very comfortable in Unity and C# and have a strong understanding of object-oriented design and the Unity API. We'll be using pre-made assets so we can dive deep into the code and logic needed to make a Match 3 game. While we will be touching on some other Unity systems, like animation and UI, the main focus of this course will be on the logic behind the game. I'll be doing my best to explain everything as I go along, but if at any time you feel stuck or would like more information, you can check out my course, Scripting Unity in C#, which goes into more specific detail on how to program in Unity.
If you want to brush up on your C# or have questions about C# syntax, watching C# Essential Training is a good option. This course also heavily employs object-oriented design, so if you're having trouble understanding how the system is designed, try watching Foundations of Programming: Object-Oriented Design. Finally, if you'd like to learn more about working with 2D games in Unity, check out Unity 5: 2D Essential Training.
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 47m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.