Learn how to build a match 3 game like Candy Crush or Bejeweled in Unity.
- [Voiceover] Hi this is Kelley Hecker and I'd like to welcome you to Creating a Match 3 Game with Unity. Match 3 games involve swapping colored pieces on a grid to match three or more pieces of the same color. You've probably seen lots of Match 3 games on mobile app stores. In this course, I'll be teaching you how to create your own Match 3 game. We'll start with the game board. We'll create a basic game piece, spawn them on a grid, and animate them as they fill up the board. You'll learn how to detect valid matches and clear pieces.
We'll even implement some special game pieces that can clear entire rows or columns or clear pieces of a certain color. Finally, we'll turn this into a game by implementing level logic. I'll walk you through implementing three unique level types. We'll also implement a user interface for the game, as well as a level select screen, where players can choose a level and view their high scores. We've got a lot of ground to cover, so if you're ready, let's get started.
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 47m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.