Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Transitioning between windows, part of Unity 5 2D: Advanced UI.
- [Voiceover] So now that we have our Window Manager,…we're gonna need to go in and connect it…to each of our windows.…Let's go back into the Scripts folder,…and inside of the Windows folder…open up the Generic Window class.…Now, each of our windows is going to need…a reference to the manager.…There are several ways of going about doing this.…For the course, we're just gonna focus…on sort of a hacky way,…by creating a static variable…that we can inject the value of the Window Manager…into each of the windows directly.…
To do this, at the top of our Generic Window class…let's create a public static field…that's typed to the Window Manager itself,…and we'll call this "manager".…Now, let's go back over to our Window Manager.…Before we open up our default window,…let's tell the Generic Window class…which manager is active.…We can do this by talking directly…to the Generic Window class.…And here we'll set the field for manager…to equal reference of "this".…
And now each of the windows…will be able to talk directly to the manager…
Unity expert Jesse Freeman helps you design your UI using custom prefabs (reusable UI elements), UI components such as windows and buttons, simple buildup animations, and transitions. He also helps you create a window manager to guide changes and relationships between windows, and extend the window system with a custom Unity editor that lets you standardize window display and navigation throughout your game.
- Creating Unity prefabs: fonts, colors, buttons, and labels
- Adding a title, credits, and buttons to the start screen
- Adding a game over screen
- Creating animated stats for the game over screen
- Transitioning between windows
- Building a keyboard window
- Mouse, keyboard, and controller navigation
- Building a custom Unity editor for managing in-game windows
- Adding a window to select difficulty level
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Building a Tile Map Editorwith Jesse Freeman1h 38m Intermediate
1. Create UI Prefabs in Unity
2. Create a Start Screen in Unity
3. Create a Game Over Screen in Unity
4. Create a Window Manager
The window manager3m 45s
5. Create a Virtual Keyboard Window
6. Extend the Window System
7. Add a Difficulty Window in Unity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.