The history of the video game industry is filled with rags to riches stories. The odds are stacked against a game development team from the start, but many take the chance and charge ahead attempting to make the next blockbuster game. This video will look at the often overlooked business and monetary factors one needs to consider when starting their own game development team or company.
- [Voiceover] The history of the video game industry…is filled with rags to riches stories, Atari,…Origin and Electronic Arts all started…as unknown companies.…However the chances of a blockbuster game…coming out of a small, undiscovered group…of developers today is highly unlikely.…But let's assume you want to make a go of it,…make your own company.…In this video, I'll try to make some sense…of the question, how do I make my game?…And we'll assume that you want to be the man.…You want to reap the rewards of your ideas.…
You want to run the company.…Awesome, I'd personally recommend against it,…but here are some things you should consider.…First, look into the differences between…a sole proprietorship, a partnership and an LLC.…Each of these titles comes with certain responsibilities…when it comes to taxes, how debt is handled,…and personal liability.…Second, start your team small.…It'll be tricky to figure out exactly what…skills you'll need on your team…to start the first prototype.…
Try to resist the natural hubris…
- A brief history of video games
- The phases of game development
- Roles in game development
- Essential programming, art, design, and audio skills
- Choosing a game engine
- Funding options outside the game studio system
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Game Environment in Blender and Unitywith Darrin Lile3h 13m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Game Studios
2. Roles in Game Development
3. Game Design and Development
4. Alternatives to the Studio Model
What Is Your Next Step?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.