Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Standardize window navigation, part of Unity 5: 2D Advanced UI.
- [Voiceover] Now it's time for us to come up with a way…of standardizing how we navigate between different windows.…Since we've created an easier way…for us to reorder the windows,…let's go ahead and clean up the way…that each of the windows are now connected.…To get stared, we're going to want to go…into the Windows folder,…and create a new C sharp script,…and we're going to call this Window Enums.…Let's open up this script,…and delete everything inside of it.…I like to use Enums…because it allows me to type to a very specific value…instead of using magic strings.…
A magic string is when you simply use the name of a window,…which could change over time.…An Enum allows us to have a constant mapping…between the actual position of the array,…and the window that goes inside of it.…To show you how this works,…let's create a public Enum,…and we're going to call this Windows.…Inside of our Enum,…we're going to set four values.…We'll start with None,…Start,…GameOver,…and Keyboard.…Now let's save this Enum.…
An Enum can live in the top namespace and be global,…
Unity expert Jesse Freeman helps you design your UI using custom prefabs (reusable UI elements), UI components such as windows and buttons, simple buildup animations, and transitions. He also helps you create a window manager to guide changes and relationships between windows, and extend the window system with a custom Unity editor that lets you standardize window display and navigation throughout your game.
- Creating Unity prefabs: fonts, colors, buttons, and labels
- Adding a title, credits, and buttons to the start screen
- Adding a game over screen
- Creating animated stats for the game over screen
- Transitioning between windows
- Building a keyboard window
- Mouse, keyboard, and controller navigation
- Building a custom Unity editor for managing in-game windows
- Adding a window to select difficulty level
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Building a Tile Map Editorwith Jesse Freeman1h 38m Intermediate
1. Create UI Prefabs in Unity
2. Create a Start Screen in Unity
3. Create a Game Over Screen in Unity
4. Create a Window Manager
The window manager3m 45s
5. Create a Virtual Keyboard Window
6. Extend the Window System
7. Add a Difficulty Window in Unity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.