Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Prepare to save data, part of Building Custom Tools to Extend the Unity IDE.
- [Voiceover] So, now that we have the foundation…in place for our SaveTest class, let's go…ahead and start flushing out what we'll need…in order to save and load data.…Let's go to the Scripts folder and double…click on the SaveTest class to open it up in MonoDevelop.…Below our items list, let's create two new public methods.…Both of these will return void, and we'll call…the first Save, and in it, we'll simply Debug.Log…the word Save, and below Save, let's create…another method called Load.…
Next, we'll want to go into the…SaveTest Editor and wire up the Editor so that…it can call, Save and Load on the object itself.…In our SaveTest Editor, let's go ahead and add…the following below DrawDefaultInspector.…We're going to need a reference to the…saveTestScript itself.…So, let's create a new variable called…saveTestScript, and let's set its value to…the current selection activeGameObject, and on…this we're going to call GetComponent and get…a reference to the SaveTest class.…
Next we're going to create a vertical…
- Exposing variables to the Inspector
- Providing attributes to Inspector fields
- Extending the base editor
- Creating custom UI elements
- Modifying the layout of a custom editor
- Building a custom window
- Saving and loading data
- Creating a reorderable list
- Skinning custom inspectors
- Exporting assets as Unity packages
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
1. Introduction to the Inspector
2. Build Custom Editors in Unity
3. Create Custom UI Elements in Unity
4. Build a Custom Window in Unity
5. Saving and Loading Data in Unity
6. Advanced UI
7. Skinning Custom Inspectors
8. Export Custom Code
Code organization4m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.