There are cycles to the game production process. Games must be planned, built, and tested before they ever get to the eagerly awaiting hands of their players. Development teams have to figure out if their game should even be made before starting production. We’ll take a look at these cycles of game production and the various tasks and contained in each.
- [Voiceover] Just like any project, game development…is completed in phases.…Most game projects will go through a pre-production…process at the start of a development cycle.…The pre-production stage is the time…when a game starts to evolve into…whatever it's going to be.…Many games start off as a completely different concept…than what they end up being by the time they're done.…It may surprise you that when pre-production…starts for a video game, programming and building art…for the game may not start for several months.…
Developing the game design may not have happened yet.…The team hasn't even been hired.…Actually, the first steps of pre-production…focus on making sure the game should even be made.…So, let's take a look at a few steps…you might encounter in a normal pre-production cycle.…The first step is often making a prototype.…Usually prototypes are a little rough…around the edges, but it should show…what your game will look and play like.…While the prototype is being developed,…a market report will be created.…
- A brief history of video games
- The phases of game development
- Roles in game development
- Essential programming, art, design, and audio skills
- Choosing a game engine
- Funding options outside the game studio system
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Game Environment in Blender and Unitywith Darrin Lile3h 13m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Game Studios
2. Roles in Game Development
3. Game Design and Development
4. Alternatives to the Studio Model
What Is Your Next Step?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.