Join Christian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps for designers, part of Careers in the Game Industry.
- [Voiceover] As you've seen, the game designer position is one that encompasses all facets of game development. No other position has as much influence on the game as the game designer. This has made the position of game designer one of the most popular positions in the game industry. There aren't many careers where one can create fun, engaging, interactive experiences for an audience of thousands, if not millions. We've spent time already covering the responsibility and skills common to a game design position.
I wanted to take this last video on the subject to direct you to some resources that you can take advantage of immediately to move you towards a career in game design. First, check out our library of courses that focus on game design. A few of the courses I'd recommend to start with are Game Design Careers with Brenda Romero, an interview that takes a closer look at the game designer career. Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero, a documentary focused on advice from one of the most well-known game designers of all time.
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game by Dan Violet Sagmiller, a course that breaks down the complex systems of RTS games into simple to implement features and covers the basics of a game engine, and Unreal Essential training by Craig Barr, a course that focuses on UDK and creating a small environment in a game engine. In addition to these videos, I'd recommend that you look into local game industry groups, such as the International Game Developers Association, or IGDA, that may meet in your area.
The IGDA is the largest nonprofit membership organization in the world, serving all individuals who create games. Lastly, look at gamasutra.com, a site dedicated to covering all aspects of the game industry, Gamasutra has been the central information site for all things video game related for almost as long as video games have existed. I think you'll find all the resources you need at this site to start moving towards a career as a game designer. I hope that if you're considering a career as a game designer that this course has encouraged you to move forward with that dream.
A game designer is a tremendously exciting career that I think you'll find challenging, but extremely rewarding.
- A brief history of video games
- The phases of game development
- Roles in game development
- Essential programming, art, design, and audio skills
- Choosing a game engine
- Funding options outside the game studio system