Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Match pieces in a straight line, part of Build a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] Right now, the player can switch…any two game pieces.…We want to make it…so that the player can only move a piece,…if it creates a match.…A match means three or more pieces…in a row of the same color.…This could mean three, four, or five pieces…in a straight line or it can be two intersecting rows…of three pieces, creating an L or T shape.…We'll add a function to the grid class…to determine if a match can be made with the given piece.…For starters, we'll just worry about…matching pieces in a straight line.…In the next video, we'll handle…matching pieces in an L shape.…
Open the grid class and create a function called getMatch,…which takes a game piece and the new position…that the piece is moving to.…This function will return a list of game pieces…that are part of the match.…If no match is found, it will return null.…First we need to check if the piece is colored…since only colored pieces can be matched.…We then create some variables…to store adjacent pieces of the same color…so we can check if we have enough pieces to form a match.…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Unity 5: Build a Real-Time Strategy Gamewith Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 46m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.