Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Match pieces in an L shape, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] Our GetMatch function currently only…supports matches and straight lines.…If we tried to clear pieces in an L shape…it would only clear the pieces in one direction.…We can improve on this function to…make it so that we can also match pieces in L or T shapes.…L or T-shaped matches occur when we have two…straight lines of three pieces that share one piece.…We're already determining if we have three…in a row in one direction.…Now when we find three in a row,…we just need check for a row of three…in the perpendicular direction.…
Open up the Grid class and look at Get Match.…We start off by checking for matches in…the horizontal direction.…If we find a horizontal match of three…we now need to look for vertical match of three,…containing one of those same pieces.…This code will be very similar to the code…for horizontal traversal.…Except for one main difference.…Since we don't know which piece is the…one shared between the two directions,…we need to loop through the three pieces in our…horizontal match and check each one.…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 46m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.