Join Dan Violet Sagmiller for an in-depth discussion in this video Map blips, part of Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5.
- [Voiceover] A very useful feature…available in most RTS games is showing us…where units are located on the mini map.…So how do we get our mini map to do this?…We'll start by going into the Scripts folder,…then the Hud folder and adding a new script called MapBlip.…Now, I don't wanna edit MapBlip right away.…It's gonna have some reliances on Map.…So let's go make changes we'll need to Map first.…The first thing we need from Map is a place…to store a game object, a prefab for it to use…every time it creates a new blip on the mini map.…
To do that, I'm gonna say…public GameObject BlipPrefab.…We need to make sure that the MapBlips have access to this.…So we'll need to make a statically accessible map.…To do that, I'll create a publicly available…static instance of Map.…So that is public static…Map Current.…Last, underneath these fields,…we'll need to create a constructor, public Map,…and inside it, we'll set Current = this.…
Save this file.…Now, let's go over to MapBlip.…I'm gonna be working with the UnityEngine IU.…
AuthorDan Violet Sagmiller
- Adding player positions and start info
- Loading prebuilt levels
- Adding camera moves
- Adding a unit
- Supporting navigation
- Adding unit owners and player objects
- Importing and setting up a HUD map
- Adding unit info and credits
- Creating HUD actions
- Building a command base
- Adding artificial intelligence
- Adding battle actions
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Initial Setup
2. Adding a Unit
3. Navigation Mesh
4. Unit Owner
5. HUD Map
6. Unit Info & Credits
7. HUD Actions
8. Command Base
9. Base AI
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.