Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Load a level from the level select screen, part of Build a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Now we'll add the functionality…to load the level when we click on the button.…Create a new script called Level Select.…Drag it onto the Canvas object,…and rename that to Level Select Canvas.…Open the Level Select script.…We'll add a function that gets called…when a button is pressed.…Call it OnButtonPress, and it will take the name…of the level to load as a parameter.…Now, we just use the Scene Manager…to load that level.…
Go back to the Editor.…Click on a button, and under On Click,…click the + and drag in the Level Select Canvas.…From the dropdown, select the Level Select…OnButtonPress function.…For the string, type in the name of the level…you want to load.…Since this is the button for Level One,…I'll type Level 1.…Do the same for the other two buttons.…
Hit Play and click on a button.…You see we get an error that the scene could not be loaded.…That's because we haven't added our level scenes…to the Build settings.…Go to File, Build Settings.…Drag in the Level scenes and the Level Select scene.…Close the Build Settings, and run again.…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Unity 5: Build a Real-Time Strategy Gamewith Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 46m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.