Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Load data from the asset folder, part of Building Custom Tools to Extend the Unity IDE.
- [Voiceover] So now that we have…a way to save out our data, we're gonna…need to add the ability to load it…back up from the Assets folder.…Let's go into our Scripts folder…and open our SaveTest class.…Here, we're going to want to modify…the Load method to accept a string…that we get from a data file that…we pull up from a system.…Let's create a type of string, and call it data,…and in the Debug.Log statement, let's add a space…to the string load, and then let's pass in…data, as well, so we can output…what we actually read from a file.…
Now in our SaveTestEditor, let's scroll down…below the Write Data method,…and create a new method.…We're going to create a private method…that returns a string, and we're going to…call this method ReadDataFromFile.…Now in order for this to work,…we're going need to get a path,…just like we did from the Write Data method.…Let's create a new variable called…path, and we'll call the Editor Utilities,…OpenFilePanel method.…Here we'll pass in a title of Load Data.…
We'll set the directory to empty…
- Exposing variables to the Inspector
- Providing attributes to Inspector fields
- Extending the base editor
- Creating custom UI elements
- Modifying the layout of a custom editor
- Building a custom window
- Saving and loading data
- Creating a reorderable list
- Skinning custom inspectors
- Exporting assets as Unity packages
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Introduction to the Inspector
2. Build Custom Editors in Unity
3. Create Custom UI Elements in Unity
4. Build a Custom Window in Unity
5. Saving and Loading Data in Unity
6. Advanced UI
7. Skinning Custom Inspectors
8. Export Custom Code
Code organization4m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.