Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Lay out the keyboard, part of Unity 5 2D: Advanced UI.
- [Voiceover] At this point, we now have our keyboard input,…but we don't have the keyboard itself.…Let's go to KeyboardGroup, and create…a new empty game object.…We're gonna call this Keyboard.…Next, we'll want to add a Vertical Layout.…Let's set the padding top to 5 to give it…some space from the title, and…we'll create a spacing of 2.…This'll separate each of the rows…of keys that we add to the keyboard.…Also, if we scroll down, let's make sure…that we set the Child Alignment to Middle Center,…and we'll leave the Child Forced Expand…width and height the same.…
Now let's add another empty game object to the keyboard.…We're gonna call this Row 1.…Now let's add a Horizontal Layout…to our Row 1 for each of the keys.…Now let's change the spacing to 2,…set the Child Alignment to Middle Center,…and uncheck the Child Force Expand…width and height boxes.…Now we're ready to add our first button.…We'll go to our PreFabs folder,…and drag in the button prefab.…Let's change the name of this button to q,…and go into the text and make it q as well.…
Unity expert Jesse Freeman helps you design your UI using custom prefabs (reusable UI elements), UI components such as windows and buttons, simple buildup animations, and transitions. He also helps you create a window manager to guide changes and relationships between windows, and extend the window system with a custom Unity editor that lets you standardize window display and navigation throughout your game.
- Creating Unity prefabs: fonts, colors, buttons, and labels
- Adding a title, credits, and buttons to the start screen
- Adding a game over screen
- Creating animated stats for the game over screen
- Transitioning between windows
- Building a keyboard window
- Mouse, keyboard, and controller navigation
- Building a custom Unity editor for managing in-game windows
- Adding a window to select difficulty level
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Building a Tile Map Editorwith Jesse Freeman1h 38m Intermediate
1. Create UI Prefabs in Unity
2. Create a Start Screen in Unity
3. Create a Game Over Screen in Unity
4. Create a Window Manager
The window manager3m 45s
5. Create a Virtual Keyboard Window
6. Extend the Window System
7. Add a Difficulty Window in Unity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.