Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Implement the HUD functions, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] Now we're going to add some functions…to our HUD script to update the UI elements.…Open the HUD script.…First we'll fill out the start function.…At the start of the game all we need to do…is disable the star images.…We loop through all the star images…and check that the index is…equal to the current star index.…This starts at zero,…so when the game starts…only the zero star image will be visible.…Next we'll create a function to set the player's score.…
We'll call SetScore and it will take an integer.…We the set the score text to the score passed in…converted to a string.…We have to convert it from an integer…to a string because the text parameter expects a string.…Next we have to calculate which star image…should be visible.…By default, we showed the zero star image.…If the score is greater than the score needed…for one star, but less than the score for two star…we show the one star image.…
We do the same for the two and three star images,…checking that the score is within the score range.…We loop through the star image array…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 47m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.