Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Hide the continue button, part of Unity 5 2D: Advanced UI.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Now, let's talk about the Continue button.…Sometimes, obviously when someone starts a new game,…you're not gonna wanna show the Continue button.…You'll only want to show the Continue button…when there's a saved game present.…But this presents a little bit of a problem.…How do we get the UI to automatically respond…to removing the Continue button?…Or more importantly, if the Continue button does exist…we would want that to be the default button selected…instead of New Game.…In order to do that we're gonna add a little bit of code…to our Start window.…
Let's select it from the project,…double-click on it, and open it up in MonoDevelop.…At the top of our class…let's make some space…and create a new public field…for the Continue button.…Now, since we haven't imported the button name space,…we're gonna see an error.…Let's go to the top of our file and type in…using UnityEngine.UI,…and save.…Now, we have a place to store a reference…for the Continue button.…Next, we're gonna wanna override the Open method…
Unity expert Jesse Freeman helps you design your UI using custom prefabs (reusable UI elements), UI components such as windows and buttons, simple buildup animations, and transitions. He also helps you create a window manager to guide changes and relationships between windows, and extend the window system with a custom Unity editor that lets you standardize window display and navigation throughout your game.
- Creating Unity prefabs: fonts, colors, buttons, and labels
- Adding a title, credits, and buttons to the start screen
- Adding a game over screen
- Creating animated stats for the game over screen
- Transitioning between windows
- Building a keyboard window
- Mouse, keyboard, and controller navigation
- Building a custom Unity editor for managing in-game windows
- Adding a window to select difficulty level
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Building a Tile Map Editorwith Jesse Freeman1h 38m Intermediate
1. Create UI Prefabs in Unity
2. Create a Start Screen in Unity
3. Create a Game Over Screen in Unity
4. Create a Window Manager
The window manager3m 45s
5. Create a Virtual Keyboard Window
6. Extend the Window System
7. Add a Difficulty Window in Unity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.