Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video The HUD script, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] Now that we've created all…the UI elements for our HUD…we need to update the values to match the game.…We'll create a script with functions…that will update our UI elements.…Create a new script called HUD.…First we'll add a variable to store…our reference to the level,…then we'll add variables to store references…to all of the UI elements that need to get updated.…These will be the remaining text,…the remaining subtext, the target text,…the target subtext, the score text,…and our star images.…
The text objects are of type UnityEngine.UI.Text…and the image objects are of type UnityEngine.UI.Image.…We'll also add two private variables.…One is the index of the star image…that's currently being displayed.…We'll call this star I-D-X.…The other variable is whether or not the game has ended.…We'll need this later to display a game over screen.…In the editor rename the canvas object…to game UI canvas.…
Add the HUD script,…and hook up all the references in the inspector.…When you're done your HUD component…should look like this.…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 47m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.