Game Theory is the study of group choices. Game Theory has become an important area in the game industry, since game are designed around anticipating what choices a player is most likely to make. In this video we’ll take a look at how game theory works, how game theory can be applied to game design and the basics of how players make choices within a video game.
- [voiceover] Game theory is defined as the study of…mathematical models of conflict and cooperation between…intelligent, rational decision-makers.…That definition's a little dense.…It might be easier to think of game theory…as a blueprint for how people make decisions,…which can get pretty complex.…Ultimately though, a video game or a game…of any type is a long series of player decisions.…That makes game theory a really…important subject to know about.…Game theory is centered on a player's choices,…choices which are based on how one player's gains…influence the other participants.…
Most often, these choices are yours,…and yours alone to make.…Your personal ethics, beliefs, and behaviors…are going to dictate which choices you make.…Game theory doesn't just apply to video games,…but to a wide range of behavioral relations.…It has become a huge area of study,…and it's considered an umbrella term…for the science of logical decision-making…in humans, animals, and computers.…Game theory is the best way we have…for guessing or planning the player's…
- A brief history of video games
- The phases of game development
- Roles in game development
- Essential programming, art, design, and audio skills
- Choosing a game engine
- Funding options outside the game studio system
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Game Environment in Blender and Unitywith Darrin Lile3h 13m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Game Studios
2. Roles in Game Development
3. Game Design and Development
4. Alternatives to the Studio Model
What Is Your Next Step?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.