A Game Programmer creates game play elements, systems, and tools for the video game, but what does one need to know to break into the industry as a game programmer? In this video we’ll take a look at the various programming languages, skills, and backgrounds one should consider if contemplating a career as a game programmer.
- [Voiceover] A game programmer creates game play elements,…systems, and tools from code.…There are many specialized programming disciplines…all of which fall under the umbrella term…of game programmer.…Let's take a look at some of the skills…and experience you'll need to be a game programmer.…First you'll need to develop strong programming skills,…the kind that are useful for most application developers.…Different game engines and environments…are built on different programming languages…so a good amount of flexibility…and knowledge with different languages is helpful.…
Second, beyond the normal skills…the programmers need to develop…game programmers need to pay particular attention to detail.…Games are some of the largest and most complicated programs…that people run on their computers…and the game consoles have very specific…hardware resources available to them.…So you can't afford to have a memory leak.…Your code needs to be modular, decoupled,…and optimized so that the performance…of the game doesn't suffer from lazy coding practices.…
- A brief history of video games
- The phases of game development
- Roles in game development
- Essential programming, art, design, and audio skills
- Choosing a game engine
- Funding options outside the game studio system
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Game Environment in Blender and Unitywith Darrin Lile3h 13m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Game Studios
2. Roles in Game Development
3. Game Design and Development
4. Alternatives to the Studio Model
What Is Your Next Step?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.