Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Fill the board, part of Build a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Now that our board is completely…empty, we need to fill it in.…Open up the grid script.…I'm going to create two function stubs.…One called fill and one called fill step.…Fill step will only move each piece one space.…While fill will call fill step until the board is filled.…Fill step will return a boolean.…It will be true if any piece is removed…and false if not.…That way fill knows when the board is filled.…I'm going to copy the code for fill step…from the code snippets.…
And then we'll go over it.…Fill steps starts with a boolean called…moved piece which is false.…If we encounter a piece that we need to move…we'll set it to true.…We end by returning moved piece.…First, we loop through all the columns…in reverse order meaning from bottom to top.…Since our top is zero.…We start our Y index at the Y dimension minus two.…Now the reason we do this is because…our array is zero index.…So there isn't an element at yDim.…
It's actually from zero to yDim minus one.…The reason it's yDim minus two is…because we don't care about the bottom row.…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Unity 5: Build a Real-Time Strategy Gamewith Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 46m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.